Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 76 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. Thousands of companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
Coursera’s Legal and Compliance team is responsible for managing all legal and regulatory matters, including contracts, corporate governance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, and claims. The team includes dedicated teams that support every aspect of Coursera’s platform, including university, enterprise and industry partnerships.
During this summer internship, you will work with the Legal and Compliance team to conduct legal research on a variety of legal issues that affect our business. You will learn how an in-house legal team at a fast-paced startup operates by contributing to resolving high-priority legal issues that may arise, as well as assist in projects that help scale our legal processes.
Previous interns have worked on important, varied, and highly strategic matters that include subject areas such as academic and higher education compliance, privacy compliance, OFAC compliance, open source licensing, privacy, consumer rights, copyright and IP issues, regulatory issues, and general transactional work.
- Work on a wide variety of transactional matters, including review and summarization of key agreements, review of redlines, drafting transactional documents and NDAs, and participating in contract negotiations
- Research cutting-edge domestic and international regulatory issues, including in the areas of: online education and academic compliance, government regulations, privacy, consumer rights, employment, corporate, and others
- Assist with contract management, documentation, and processes
- Help protect Coursera’s IP and international brandWork with passionate people who love to continually learn in a constantly changing legal market
- Completion of at least 1L year at an ABA-accredited law school
- Experience with research, writing, and oral communication
- Ability to work efficiently and independently
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Proactive and adaptable
- Available for 10-12 weeks between May – September 2021
- Experience with government regulations, education policy, and/or teaching
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera
- Copyright for Multimedia from Duke University, Emory University, and University of North Carolina
- Introduction to Negotiation from Yale University
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.