Memrise is an award-winning language learning system with a growing user base of over 50 million.
At Memrise we know it’s impossible to learn a language unless you can master three key skills.
1. Basic translation of words and phrases
2. Understanding them when they’re used in real-life situations
3. Being understood by other people
Translation is the easy part and many other products do this well but our method is the only one that will help people to master all three.
We’re looking for a versatile Senior Android Engineer to develop and optimise our award-winning language learning experience on Android.
You’ll shape the future of our Android app, helping millions of people to learn new languages. We’re a small engineering team with a deep connection to our business, product, and users.
Memrise is a truly mobile first product. We work in cross-functional teams, collaborating with designers, product owners, and data analysts. We deliver value to our users at pace, releasing our mobile apps weekly. We also embrace new technologies to solve our biggest challenges. For example, we’re using Kotlin Multiplatform to share common code between our client apps.
Our team values empathy for the people we work with and the community we work for. We support each other. We are purposeful in our actions and effective at collaboration.
You’ll be in our award winning mobile team and working with some of the most talented engineers in London. You’ll work alongside 3 other Android specialists, within a cross-functional team of 6-8 people.
We are committed to a flexible working model that allows collaboration within our teams but that also gives our employees the ability to work from home.
Some of what the role entails:
- Leading development of new features using Kotlin
- Planning technical investment initiatives and shipping bug fixes across our Android app
- Participating in our app release process (and growing our suite of release automation)
What you should be comfortable on:
- Experience building and releasing Android apps using Kotlin
- Experience working on apps with many contributors, using tools like GitHub
- Knowledge of mobile design patterns, including patterns for interacting with APIs and databases
- Ability to write readable, maintainable, and testable code
What we’d like you to be interested in learning:
- Multiplatform code sharing with Kotlin/Native
- Working knowledge of Java (it’s about 20% of our codebase)
- Familiarity with patterns like RxJava, Redux, and MVVM
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Contribute to new and existing features in partnership with designers, product owners, and other engineers
- Offer actionable code reviews, and welcome constructive feedback
By 3 months we hope you’ll:
- Proactively and independently take on exciting technical problems
- Manage app release cycles, monitoring for bugs and other quality issues in production
After 6 months we’d love it if:
- You’ve delivered consistent value to our users and business by leading product development initiatives
- Made consistent incremental improvements to our codebase, including technical investment projects
- Continuously improved our patterns, tooling, and ways-of-working with an iterative and collaborative approach
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Generous Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Enhanced Parental Leave
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Dental Insurance with Unum
- Quarterly hackathons
- Language classes with in-office and virtual tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
What’s it like to work here?
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do: helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our product to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You’ll join our UK team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented ‘Memrisians’, made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things. Get in touch if you want to join the team.