We are looking for a global indirect taxation expert with impeccable business acumen who can help us understand the underlying implications and exposure of our rapid growing activities for the various entities and business groups, both in the US and internationally. The ideal candidate can propose clear strategic and scalable solutions for the future growth of Hopper. Your communication skills will allow for everyone to gain an understanding of the financial risks and opportunities. You are happy working with multiple external parties, experts in their subject matter, and are capable of guiding them, with clear and concise goals and deliverables. You are versatile and curious and are not afraid to be a hands-on leader and make decisions, if something new needs to be built, you are the person for the job.
– Bachelor’s degree in law or accounting
– Completion or working towards completion of a Master’s degree in Taxation or Law or CICA in depth course
– 7+ years of tax experience in an accounting firm and corporate tax department of a global tech company
– In-depth knowledge of indirect taxation in US and Canada with experience in marketplace facilitator laws and fintech products; Knowledge of LATAM, EU, APAC regions are an asset
– Excellent computer skills, a willingness and an eagerness to excel at technical systems
– Comfortable as a “hands-on” manager and willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done
– Are committed to continuous growth and learning. You understand that every challenge is an opportunity and you get excited about learning new things
– Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills with the ability to commit and push through decisions
– Ability to adjust rapidly to changing demands and priorities
– Strong communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts to management and non-tax practitioners
– Building the strategy and policy of Hopper’s indirect tax function. As Hopper grows, this person would ensure that our tax function grows along with it
– Ensuring indirect tax compliance for our hotel business in the US, with support from a dedicated engineering team to build the required products
– Partnering with business leaders to ensure accurate taxation for new product launches and further expansion of our hotel business
– Act as a product manager with the implementation and development of our tax engine
– Scope out international indirect tax strategy and compliance
This is a unique opportunity to join Hopper at a key point in its growth trajectory and to directly contribute to its worldwide success.
In addition, some benefits that we offer:
– Fully Flexible remote working: work from anywhere, anytime (at home or in one of our offices)
– Competitive salary and benefits with potential for pre-IPO stock options / RSUs
MORE ABOUT HOPPER
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
– Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
– The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
– Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
– Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
– Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
– Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.