Built is a growth-stage company at the intersection of FinTech and PropTech. We are on a mission to change the way the world gets built with technology and services that streamline the $1.4T U.S. construction industry.
Built’s platform for the construction finance industry modernizes the movement of money between all stakeholders within the construction and real estate process to manage risk and maximize productivity. Built provides software, payments, B2B marketplace, and data solutions to more than 190 of the top financial institutions and hundreds of contractors throughout North America.
In addition to our recent $125M Series D funding and $1.5B valuation, we’re proud to have been named one of Forbes’ Best Startup Employers in America and one of The Tennessean’s 2022 Top Workplaces. Bringing on the “best talent in the world” is at the forefront of our continued growth trajectory—and we want you to be part of it.
Built is seeking a Staff Software Engineer who aspires to remain technical and be a technical leader with a strong inclination to mentor and invest in the professional growth of others around them.Staff Engineers at Built are the individual contributor, technical leader counterparts to Engineering Managers, and often work with a “home base” team, but are expected to have influence across the organization and are provided agency to lean into difficult problems.
Staff Engineers at Built
- Deliver complex tasks with multiple components across multiple teams. Investigate and resolve areas of significant ambiguity. Identify the work and – break down tasks contributing to the team’s OKRs over the next 2-3 months.
- Assess what work and solutions support the product strategy and make insightful recommendations regarding priorities as a solid technical partner to the product organization.
- Manage larger refactors, and/or system upgrades. Helps others to do the same or participate. Estimate the scope of work, and when those estimates are off, coordinate with stakeholders like product management to address risks and take ownership.
- Offer expertise in your domain, expanding into architectural and systems thinking. Create and maintain internal documentation for the purpose and structure of the systems you’re working on. Carefully document processes that aren’t clear.
- Actively participate in meetings, and create cross-team collaboration where necessary to address business goals.
- Looked to often as the “tech-lead” for a given initiative. Mentor others by stewarding some of your previous responsibilities to others so they can grow.
- Ability and desire to span multiple technical disciplines (Python, Infra, Node, Databases, System Arch, Frontend, Backend)
- Experience with modern cloud platform(s) (AWS, GCP, Azure, Heroku, etc.)
- Strong software engineering skills including the use of a modern development workflow. Understands linting, debugging, Git, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Deep experience with at least one modern language such as Typescript or Python
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- Track record of success delivering n-tier product solutions.
- Track record of success enabling engineering teams and business outcomes.
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Direct hands-on experience with AWS technologies (EKS, Lambda, DMS, Dynamo, API gateway, Step Functions, Cognito, Cloudfront, S3, etc.)
- FinTech, PropTech or Construction related industry experience
Experience leading & training teams in at least one of the following
- Best practices for microservices development using Python (FastAPI) or Node (NestJS), GraphQL
- Best practices for front-end technologies (React, Redux, Single-Spa, VueJs, Microfrontends)
- Best practices for open-source standards like – Schema Driven Design, Open API spec, Swagger Codegen, Semantic Versioning, Shared component & utility modules
- Best practices for infrastructure & infrastructure as code tools & frameworks – Kubernetes, Terraform, Pulumi, CDK, CloudFormation, SAM, Serverless Framework
- Best practices for service-oriented architecture, platform teams, and shared services
- The rare opportunity to radically disrupt an industry
- Competitive benefits including: uncapped vacation, health, dental & vision insurance, and 401k
- Robust compensation package including base salary, quarterly bonus, and equity
- Flexible working hours, paid family leave, ERGs & Mentorship opportunities
- Learning grant program to support ongoing professional development
Our company is made up of passionate people who are driven in a variety of disciplines—and each of them brings their unique perspective to everything they do. Creating a safe and inclusive workplace is critical to the success of our company and of our employees, so it’s our aim to recruit, hire and promote without bias against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law. As we learn and as we grow, we’re committed to ensuring that these ideals are at the forefront of everything we do.