DocuSign helps organizations connect and automate how they agree. Our flagship product, eSignature, is the world’s #1 way to sign electronically on practically any device, from virtually anywhere, at any time. Today, more than a million customers and a billion users in over 180 countries use DocuSign to accelerate the process of doing business and simplify people’s lives.
What you’ll do
The Legal team helps DocuSign achieve strategic goals, manage legal risk, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. We are regularly involved in critical, complex operations, and partner across the business to solve challenging problems to support our growth and progress globally. We focus on providing thorough analysis and offer legal advice to foster sound decision-making and ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
DocuSign is a Software as a Service Company (SaaS) looking for Legal Counsel with experience in the EMEA region, with particular emphasis on commercial transactions in Germany, to join its EMEA legal department. This position will support the rest of the DocuSign Global Legal Team on legal, commercial and go-to-market (GTM) matters primarily within Germany, but also in other countries within the Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) region, as needed.
EMEA Legal Counsel (Commercial) will regularly interact with:
- Internal stakeholders, such as Sales, Security, Privacy, Marketing, Product, and other HQ functions
- Business customers and partners
- Other members of the Global DocuSign Legal Department
- Regulators, lawmakers and policy makers in government, standards bodies, and business entities
As a part of our Legal & Risk Management team, you help to further strategic goals, manage risks, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. Constantly immersed in critical, high-level operations, you partner across the business to solve challenging problems and support our growth and progress around the world. The Legal & Risk Management team focuses on providing thorough legal and security analysis and advice to foster sound decision-making, and on ensuring compliance with legal and other relevant standards and certifications.
This position is an individual contributor, initially reporting to the Head of Global Contracts within the DocuSign Legal Department.
- Review, draft, revise and interpret SaaS and other technology licensing and partnership agreements, Data Protection Agreements, vendor and work for hire contracts, consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements
- Negotiate fair and responsible terms for confidential information, indemnification, liability, proprietary rights, security and data privacy
- Advise stakeholders of contract risks and appropriate resolution strategy when customer’s purchase order terms and conditions deviate from DocuSign’s standard terms and conditions
- Educate internal stakeholders, prospects and customers on legality and compliance issues
- Summarise technical & non-technical information to key stakeholders and executives to facilitate an understanding of contract scope, nuances, deviations, key terms, and acceptance of contract
- Manage and meet aggressive internal SLAs and help manage priorities in a fast-moving environment
- Support the risk management function and regulatory compliance, including identifying and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements in EMEA, with an emphasis on Germany, in areas such as e-signature regulations, data privacy, data security and others
- Assist and advise on our growth and expansion in Germany, including localization of agreements and business practices
- Serve as resource on legal requests related to our Germany business and provide decisive, practical guidance that balances business objectives with legal risks
- Work cross-functionally with sales, marketing, product, business development, and operations teams on a variety of legal matters to support our efforts in the Germany market
- Work closely with the global legal team and manage local external counsel, as needed, to provide globally aligned legal advice
- Stay current on relevant industry, commercial, IP, privacy, and other laws, regulations, and developments to adapt our policies and processes accordingly and provide the most up-to-date guidance
- Have the ability to serve as a regional SME legal resource to drive business in Germany, and also support the transactional needs in other countries within EMEA, as needed
- Partner with the other GTM functions to develop strategy and support growth in Germany
Remote:Employee is not required to be in or near an office frequently and works from a designated remote work locations for the majority of the time.
What you bring
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant legal experience, ideally working for a SaaS or technology company
- Strong commercial experience, including understanding Contracts Management principles and ability to craft and implement legal policies and training, in addition to experience reviewing, revising, drafting, negotiating and advising on sophisticated and complex contracts, such as services agreements, sales agreements, marketing/advertising, professional services agreements, technology agreements, partner and vendor agreements
- Transactional and cross-border negotiation experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and German languages
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the legal aspects of data privacy laws, and security as it relates to cloud computing
- Excellent judgement, attention to detail and ability to work independently as well as across different teams
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high activity environment, and able to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally across teams with a team attitude that no job is too big or too small
- Must be duly licensed to practise in Germany
- In-house experience within a technology company preferred
- Solid knowledge of the legal aspects of data privacy, data sovereignty, and security as it relates to cloud computing
- Talent for thinking outside of the box in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems
Life at DocuSign
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agreeable for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal.
We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better than we found it. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
Apply now >