As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you will work alongside our experienced product and design teams to build world-class mobile applications for iOS and Android platforms. You’ll be an integral part of the mobile team that provides our customers with helpful mobile solutions that complement and enhance their interactions with Help Scout.
We strive to provide a reliable seamless experience that leverages our mobile platforms by providing nimble interactions in the mobile context that support our community of developers and address the use cases that are most impactful for our mobile users.
The Engineering team is one of the three-piece ensembles, along with Product and Design, that makes up our Experience Organization at Help Scout. You will report to Alicia Rivas Perez, our Mobile Tech Lead, and will be part of the Engineering team led by our Director of Product Engineering, Julie Cousins.
The Mobile team is a vital part of the Help Scout software ecosystem by providing our customers with helpful mobile solutions that complement and enhance their interactions with Help Scout. We strive to provide a reliable seamless experience that leverages our mobile platforms by providing nimble interactions in the mobile context that support our community of developers and address the use cases that are most impactful for our mobile users.
Since we have remote team members living between EU through PT time zones, we require that your regular working hours overlap with 8 to 12 pm ET to ensure several solid blocks of overlap time with your team members.
About the Role
- As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you will work independently and collaboratively to develop and maintain our mobile applications for iOS, Android platforms, and Backend For Frontend (BFF) written in Java/Kotlin.
- Collaborate with product and design teams to provide input on the mobile application user experience and interface designs.
- Write clean, efficient, and maintainable code using Kotlin and Swift (Objective-C knowledge is a plus but not required).
- Ensure the high performance, quality, and responsiveness of mobile applications.
- Debug and resolve technical issues that arise in mobile applications.
- Work with customers and QA testers to ensure the mobile apps continue to be a resounding success for the business.
- Continuously work on adding new features, optimizing for other devices, and improving the product.
- As a Senior Mobile Software Engineer at Help Scout, you have a deep understanding and extensive hands-on experience with Kotlin, Swift, and Objective-C. You’ve been working with these platforms for some time and have an excellent knowledge of their nuances and best practices.
- You have a great understanding of how “always online” products like Help Scout communicate with web services in an unpredictable mobile reality. You can help us design everything to fail gracefully and leverage local storage to provide customers with as seamless an experience as possible.
- You delight not only in how an application works but in how it looks, and you have an excellent understanding of mobile interaction design. You love working on UI animations because they can help you execute the perfect user experience.
- You have experience working with product and design teams and can provide valuable input on the mobile application user experience and interface designs.
- You stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in mobile technology, specifically the iOS and Android platforms, and can provide insightful advice about leveraging native platform APIs.
- You are excited about remote work and believe that remote teams are the future of work. You have experience working with remote teams and can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly.
- Competitive salary – Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
- Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Sabbatical – After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care – 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents, including adoption and foster care.
- 401k with 1% match– via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Bonuses – everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
- Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 170 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Apply now >