Morning Brew is a media company that covers the business news and narratives shaping our world. The companies, the people, the workplace, the economy — we nerd out on this stuff, and we’re dedicated to helping our audience navigate it all in a way that informs and entertains.
The Morning Brew team is clever, creative, and growing fast. Want in? Read on.
Retail Brew keeps nearly 150,000 retail professionals up to date on the latest news and analysis from across the retail sector. From supply chain and logistics to the customer experience and all points in between, Retail Brew explores how the retail industry navigates the ongoing changes and challenges of the modern world. We’re looking for a reporter to ideate, research, and create journalism to help take this vertical to the next level.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE WORKING ON
– Pitch, report, and write stories and other associated content for the Retail Brew newsletter, which goes out every weekday.
– Generate ideas for and lead/co-lead creation of non-newsletter editorial initiatives, enterprise pieces, and evergreen content.
– Conduct research to support creation of key stories and inform longer-term projects.
– At least 3-5 years of journalism experience with a focus on business writing and reporting
– At least 2 years of experience covering the retail industry (added plus if you’ve done so for a B2B publication)
– In-depth knowledge and sources in at least one of the following areas of retail: e-commerce, operations, supply chains, logistics/inventory, merchandising
– Ability to write in the Morning Brew style (engaging, informative, clever)
– Understanding of how to analyze and draw conclusions from structured and unstructured data
– Understanding of how to leverage multiple platforms (email, social media, etc.) to engage with the target audience
– Self-starter attitude with ability to operate in a collaborative, quickly-changing environment
– Combination of attention to detail and creative, strategic thinking
– Excellent communication skills with a mindset for collaboration
– Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment with tight deadlines
75k *Final offers for this job will be made within the parameters of the salary range provided, commensurate with experience. Total offer package to include benefits highlighted under our perks section below.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Character and integrity rank pretty high on the list. Our team is guided by our core values:
HOW WE TREAT EACH OTHER
• Respectful Candor: We believe that engaging in timely, constructive, and open discourse is an act of respect that makes for a more transparent and productive work environment.
• Empathy: We establish a strong partnership of trust with our co-workers and partners. We build human connections in order to understand each other.
• Inclusivity: We strive to celebrate and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and cultures. Differing perspectives help us make better decisions and have more fulfilling experiences.
HOW WE TREAT OUR WORK
• Curiosity: We learn every day through deliberate inquiry and exploration. We re-examine assumptions to be a better company, offer better products, and become better colleagues.
• Accountability: We celebrate our successes and own our failures. Taking responsibility for our actions allows us to learn from our experiences.
• Bias Toward Action: We know speed matters in business so we embrace quick and calculated risk-taking. We understand that many actions are reversible and therefore we are solutions-oriented, even when facing obstacles and challenges.
• Challenger Mentality: We don’t allow ourselves to be comfortable with our success. We are hungry to become the best and create more value for our audience.
• Clarity of Purpose: We understand the “why” in our work, which helps us to operate at our highest level of performance and efficiency.
While being surrounded by a bunch of cool people who look great in crewnecks is its own reward, we have plenty more to offer:
🌴 Unlimited PTO: And by “unlimited,” we mean absolutely unlimited.
🏠 U.S Remote-work friendly: Work from home, work from a coffee shop, work from your friend’s sofa, or work from…
🏢 Brew’s Brand-New HQ: Pick an adjustable standing desk or cozy corner and load up on free coffee (duh) and snacks at our new two-story office space in NYC’s Flatiron District.
💰 401(k) employer match: We want to help you prepare for the future, now.
⚕️ Premium health, vision, and dental plans: Your health matters!
🛋 Mental health benefits: Personalized plans and programs to promote your mental well-being.
💞 Extra help when you need it: Including a care concierge, plus free access to One Medical and the Calm app.
👪 Family planning: Want to join #brewparents? Generous paid parental leave and fertility coverage for eligible employees.
☕️ Employee Resource Groups: Black Coffee, LGBTQ Brew, AAPI Brew, Cafe Con Leche, and Grounded
👨💻 WFH stipend: Customize your home office, on us!
🏋️ Gym and workout class reimbursements: It pays to be healthy.
🎓 Annual learning credit: Want to learn something new? We’ll reimburse you.
Morning Brew is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment, and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences, and so, we are committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.