At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
About the team:
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an innovative new online learning service that Pearson has launched in the UK. Working in partnership with universities across the country, the Pearson Online Learning Services (POLS) team provides online learning services including marketing, student recruitment, course content development, training and ongoing student support.
About the job:
Sitting within the Web & SEO team, this role is cross-functional and connects both strategic and functional marketing expertise. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in SEO keyword research and gap analysis, as well as a keen eye for what makes great content. You have a track record in creating SEO-focused and insight-driven content strategies, drawing conclusions from your research and reporting with a creative flair.
The role is split roughly in two halves. The first half of the role entails conducting keyword research, content audits, competitor reviews, and media landscape analysis for new programme launches and refreshes of existing programmes. You’ll be required to analyse data from multiple sources to evaluate the effectiveness of the work being produced, plus identify opportunities for organic growth. This element of the role will require close collaboration with the Web and SEO teams.
The second half of the role will be centered on content strategy creation and reporting. Drawing on the insights gleaned from the SEO work mentioned above, you will build content strategies for both new and existing programmes depending on requirements, and work in close collaboration with the Partnership Marketing Managers, Content Marketing Executives and Graphic Designers for production. You would be responsible for planning content for multi-channel marketing and communication activities across multiple university partnerships, as well as reporting on said content against set KPIs and benchmarks. This is mainly a business to customer (B2C) marketing role, with a secondary focus on business to business (B2B) audience.
- To produce content strategies for new and existing programmes based on priority business requirements.
- To conduct keyword research, both long and short-tail, for new programme launches as well as refreshes for existing programmes.
- To conduct initial media landscape analysis and competitor research when launching new programmes or producing new strategies for existing programmes.
- Contribute to the development of customer personas and understanding of the user journey/funnel, ensuring the content produced hits the mark.
- Clearly and confidently present your strategies to stakeholders to ensure ongoing buy in for SEO. Use data to back up your points where applicable.
- Use the insights and data gathered during your research to create briefs for specific pieces of content which will be passed to the DCPs for production.
- To use findings from research and audits to contribute to the overall Web and SEO roadmaps.
- Where required, work with partners and external stakeholders when pitching content strategies.
- To analyse organic traffic, conversions, and keyword ranking data to provide performance insights and suggested next steps for optimisation within the monthly organic report. Add context to the numbers, ensuring understanding and buy in for stakeholders.
- To conduct quality assurance checks on content produced as part of the content strategy, ensuring it is fit for purpose, delivers on the objective and is suitable for the intended distribution channel.
- To audit existing content for ‘quick wins’, boosting initial SEO benefit before moving into new content development where appropriate.
- Identify content gaps and opportunities through regular analysis, then weave actions into ongoing roadmaps.
- Work with other channel experts to distribute content where appropriate, aligning this with the overall marketing calendar.
- Keep up to date with industry news and latest best practice, funneling this knowledge into the development and improvement of our service offering. This includes new content formats and tactics.
- To manage key internal stakeholder relationships, mainly between the Web & SEO Team, the Content Team, and Partnership Marketing Managers.
- To work in collaboration with the Research Team where applicable.
- Demonstrable understanding of SEO principles, keyword research, and content auditing.
- Experience of using Ahrefs, Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or similar industry tools.
- Experience of using Google Analytics and Search Console.
- Demonstrable experience in producing performance-driven content strategies.
- Experience in content creation, including experience in copywriting for various channels and formats.
- Experience in briefing content and creative departments for various assets.
- Experience with CMS systems such as WordPress and Adobe Experience Manager.
- Ability to gather and analyse data from various sources, then present and draw actionable insights.
- Ability to operate in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously, effectively prioritising your workload.
- Outstanding project/time management.
- Excellent attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Excel in communicating ideas and managing stakeholder viewpoints.
- An undergraduate degree in marketing, journalism, communications, or other relevant qualification.
- Higher education or student recruitment marketing experience.
- Experience working in an agency setting.
- Experience of working with in-house creative teams.
- Experience with commissioning video production and the creation of design assets.
- Experience in using email platforms such as Pardot or Marketing Cloud.
- Experience in other software such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience in managing social media business accounts including LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Apply now >