This Chief Financial Officer (CFO) job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
In order to attract Chief Financial Officer (CFO) that best match your needs, it is very important to write a clear and precise job description.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO) job description example
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for the overall financial strategy and management of the organization. The CFO will lead the finance and accounting department, ensuring the accurate and timely preparation and reporting of financial statements, while also managing the day-to-day financial operations. The CFO will also play a crucial role in developing and executing the organization’s long-term financial goals and ensuring its financial stability.
- Develop and execute the organization’s overall financial strategy, including budgeting, forecasting, and long-term financial planning
- Oversee all financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general ledger
- Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial records and reconcile any discrepancies
- Ensure compliance with GAAP, local, state, and federal regulations
- Lead the annual audit process, working with external auditors to complete the process efficiently
- Oversee the preparation and filing of tax returns
- Evaluate and implement new accounting procedures and systems to improve the efficiency and accuracy of financial reporting
- Act as a trusted advisor to the CEO and other senior executives on financial matters and provide financial guidance to support decision-making
- Represent the organization in financial negotiations and deals with lenders, investors, and other stakeholders
- Mentor and train accounting staff, providing guidance and support to ensure professional development
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field, MBA or CPA is preferred
- 10+ years of experience in accounting or finance, with at least 5 years in a senior management role
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and financial statement preparation
- Excellent leadership and team management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and accounting software such as QuickBooks or similar
This job description is not exhaustive and the role may require the performance of other duties as assigned.