This General Counsel job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
In order to attract General Counsel that best match your needs, it is very important to write a clear and precise job description.
General Counsel job description example
General Counsel is the chief attorney of a legal department within the government or corporate office. General Counsel is a senior position that manages other lawyers in the organization.
General Counsel job description should start with an interesting, eye-catching introduction.
Here is an idea of what this introduction may look like:
We are looking for an excellent General Counsel to further advance our business.
You will ensure that company operates within the law at all times, offer counsel on legal issues, serve as an effective guardian of the organisation and facilitate business development.
The successful candidate will be able to manage the impact of external factors and limit risk exposure.
Job duties and responsibilities
General Counsel job description should contain the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provide legal opinions on various situations
- Provide interpretations and recommendations to management and other staff
- Plan and implement internal policies and procedures
- Predict issues if possible
- Estimate risks in advance
- Proactively look for solutions and better practices to mitigate risk
- Deal with external parties such as regulators and external counsels
- Drive, motivate and direct team toward the right performance
- Ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal laws and regulations
Job requirements and qualifications
General Counsel job description should contain the following requirements and qualifications:
- X years of experience as a General Counsel or similar role
- Excellent knowledge of legal issues
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to predict and prevent legal issues and risks
- Strong moral and ethical principles
- Professional ethics
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- Effective communication skills
- Leadership and management skills
- BSc degree in Law
- MA or BSc in Business Administration is a plus.